A Brief History
1861: Gotthard and John A. Schaff started a piano manufacturing company in Chicago under then name of G. Schaff Bros.
1884: John A. Schaff decided to start a bass string manufacturing business. Chicago was becoming the center of production for many major piano companies and there was a large demand for quality bass strings.
1955: Robert E. Johnson Sr., and Robert E. Johnson Jr., purchased the piano supply business from Continental Music, which was previously owned by Lyon & Healy. Lyon and Healy had originally purchased the supply company from Tonk Bros. Manufacturing.
1978: Herbert, David and Stephen Johnson, sons of Robert E. Johnson Jr., decided to relocate Schaff Piano Supply Co. and Schaff Piano String Corp. to a new 58,000 square foot warehouse in Lake Zurich, IL.
1992: A 20,000 square foot addition was added for further expansion.
2000: Schaff Piano Supply Co. acquired American Piano Supply Co. and its division, John Schadler and Sons, located in Clifton, NJ, which included Tuners Supply Co. and the HALE name.
2007: The 6th generation is presently active in the management of Schaff Piano Supply Co. Currently, all tools are manufactured in our machine shop, located in Clifton, NJ. Our tools are increasingly being utilized worldwide.